Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Charles the Cat: New Mexico to Illinois (and Back)


When I read this story, I felt a special connection with the family because I have a cat names Charles and he looks a lot like their Charles! Apparently, Charles went missing about eight months ago when his owner was out of town and a friend was cat sitting. According to the AP, Robin Alex, of Albuquerque, said, "Oh, I was crushed, and I found out while I was away volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, and I was so upset because I was in New Orleans so there was nothing I could do."

However, earlier this week, Charles was picked up by an animal control unit in CHICAGO! Luckily, Charles was micro-chipped so Alex was contacted that he was rescued in Illinois and she would need to make arrangements to have him returned.
But Alex said she could not afford the round-trip ticket to Chicago to bring Charles home and she was afraid he might be euthanized.

Fortunately, the story has a happy ending when fellow Albuquerque resident, Lucien Sims, tells Alex he is on his way to Chicago on Thursday for a wedding, so he would go to the shelter, pick up Charles and bring him back to New Mexico. According to the story, “Sims said he has a tabby cat who strongly resembles Charles, and was moved when his mother sent him an online story about Alex and her pet.” Sims even made arrangements for Charles' return, by getting a company to donate a cat carrier and American Airlines to waive the cat's travel fee.

Now, my Charles is very old and can barely make it down the stairs, so I don't think he will be making any long-distance trips but he is micro-chipped just in case he would escape and make it down the block. PLEASE MICRO-CHIP YOUR PET. For more information on micro-chipping please see our newsletter article in our Alley Cat Mews.


(Photo: AP - Charles from NM)















(Photo: MMF - My Charles)  




1 comment:

Delilah said...

I am glad Charles made it home to his family, I love a story with a happy ending thanks for sharing.