Saturday, November 28, 2009

Toxic Holiday Plants


It's that time of year again to be aware of harmful items around the house to our pets. Holly, mistletoe, Jerusalem cherry, and bittersweet are poisonous plants often included in holiday d├ęcor. When used, take care not to place them within reach of pets. Although berries and other plant parts don’t taste good, pets will often be tempted. Even if placed out of reach of pets, watch for dried berries that may fall to the floor. Berries, leaves, and stems of mistletoe are all considered toxic. The greenish white berries fall easily and some florists are now attaching artificial berries to the stems (not toxic but still should not be consumed). It is very important to quickly remove any leaves or berries that may fall on the floor.

Also, be aware of foods that are toxic to pets: chocolate, apple seeds, apricot pits, cherry (pits, seeds, wilting leaves), grapes, onions, peach pits, raisins, almond(pits/shell), horse chestnuts, macadamia nuts, mushrooms, etc. For a more complete list of toxic plants and foods to cats, please visit ACR's website (www.saveacat.org) and click on Feline Health.

No comments: