I read an article today written by Susan Thixton, also known as "the Caped Crusader for Pets" for her 16 year study of pet food and ingredients information, and I wanted to share some of what I read. The article was on AquaDent Pet Oral Health Product and one of its main ingredients being Xylitol; which is toxic to cats and dogs.
According to the article, “many pet owners are aware that the sugar substitute Xylitol, found in many sugar free chewing gums, is toxic to [pets]. However few pet owners would think to look for Xylitol listed as an ingredient in a pet oral health product; especially one that claims to be developed by 'Veterinary Dental Specialists'. Yet, the pet oral health product C.E.T. AquaDent lists Xylitol as the third ingredient.”
Numerous pet retail stores sell AquaDent, including 1800PetMeds.com. According to their website, "C.E.T. AquaDent is a drinking water additive formulated by veterinary dental specialists to help freshen your pet's breath and maintain oral hygiene in conjunction with regular home dental care for your pet;” however, it provides no warning of Xylitol toxicity to animals.
Again, “according to Dr. Eric Dunayer, veterinarian and toxicologist for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, there appears to be a strong link between xylitol ingestion and the development of liver failure in dogs. It was previously thought that only large amounts of xylitol could result in problems for dogs, however recently even small amounts of xylitol can result in severe illness in dogs (and believed to affect cats and other animals as well).”
In doing her research, Susan consulted Snopes.com, a website known for debunking or confirming urban legends. According to this site, just three grams of Xylitol can kill a 65 pound dog. "Because the amount of sweetener used in sugar free chewing gums varies by manufacturer and product, the number of sticks of gum that would prove fatal to a pooch of that size can't be stated with precision. As a general rule of thumb, between eight and ten pieces of gum might be deadly to a 65 pound canine, but a smaller dog could easily die after ingesting far less (perhaps as few as two sticks of gum)."
Lastly, Susan points out that AquaDent also contains dyes linked to cancer and numerous other health risks, and it is manufactured by (Virbac Animal Health) a company that was on the FDA warning letter list (December 10, 2008) for violations of current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations, and who’s heartworm preventative was recalled on 2/11/2004 “due to contamination of Minocycline, a FDA approved human drug which has not been approved in species other than humans."
Susan finished with a good question and some great advice for all pet owners: “Why would a pet product, formulated by ‘veterinary dental specialists’, contain an ingredient that is known to be toxic to dogs? It's illogical and reckless. The moral of the story is this, read the ingredients of every single product provided to your pet. Just because a pet product is ‘formulated by veterinary specialists’ doesn't mean it's safe.”
To read the entire article and learn more about the author, please go to http://www.naturalnews.com/z025335.html.