Monday, March 17, 2008

WARNING: Recall of Hartz Products

With the recent recall of its Vitamin Care for Cats and a previous recall on its Flea and Tick Drops, consumers should be ware when purchasing products produced by the Hartz Mountain Corporation. Numerous reports from cat and dog owners have claimed that such products caused the deaths of their pets. There is even a website devoted to the victims of Hartz, where owners share their personal stories of their experience from using Hartz products.

Hartz is voluntarily recalling a second specific lot of Hartz Vitamin Care for Cats due to concerns that bottles within the lot may have been potentially contaminated with Salmonella. Hartz recalled a specific lot code of Hartz Vitamin Care for Cats last November due to similar concerns. Both lot codes were manufactured for Hartz by UFAC (USA) Inc. in 2007, and were removed from distribution last November. However, bottles from the second lot had been shipped to customers prior to their having been removed from distribution.

The product involved is 739 bottles of Hartz Vitamin Care for Cats, lot code SZ 22771, UPC number 32700-97701. While normal testing conducted by Hartz and UFAC has not revealed the presence of Salmonella in any Hartz products, recent sampling conducted by the FDA did detect the presence of Salmonella.

Previously, in December of 2002, thousands of illnesses and deaths in cats and kittens led to a recall of some of Hartz’ flea and tick products. Hartz Advanced Care Brand Flea and Tick Drops Plus for Cats and Kittens and Hartz Advanced Care Brand Once-a-Month Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens was pulled from shelves after numerous accounts of pets suffering from adverse effects from the products. Complaints included minor problems such as skin irritation or hair loss at the application site to more serious effects on the nervous system, such as tremors, convulsions and sometimes death.

Despite countless complaints, the Environmental Protection Agency (regulatory body) will not close down the Hartz Mountain Corporation. Therefore, a website has been created to allow pet owners to share their stories of using its products and to educate the public on the risks of using its products. Please visit their website at www.hartzvictims.org.

Consumers can contact Hartz at 1-800-275-1414 with any questions they may have and to obtain reimbursement for purchased product.

You may also contact them at:

Consumer Relations Department
The Hartz Mountain Corporation
400 Plaza Drive
Secaucus, NJ 07094 USA
1-800-275-1414 consumer hotline
questions@Hartz.com
legal@Hartz.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

do not use hartz products. if you cannot afford frontline or advantahe just leave the fleas. bathe your animal with regular shampoo. one of my cat just died from their flea drops

Anonymous said...

Hartz flea and tick burned a hole in the back of my cats neck. very painful and annoying to him, expensive and heartbreaking for me. after trip to the vet and a course of antibiotics he is fine, thankfully! do not buy this junk! EVER!!!

Libby said...

Hartz Flea and Tick for cats killed my Persian Cat last weekend, on the 4th of July, 2009. By the time we found a vet that would come in on the holiday, it was too late for her. All he could do was help the pain and end her suffering by putting her down.

Anonymous said...

My cat is fighting for his life because of this product. DO NOT BUY it and be ready HARTZ, WE ARE ANGRY AND HAVE PROOF, he is 11 years old, and you Should pay our doctor bills for him. I AM SO MAD, do you not care you are killing our family members?

Angry in Texas

Anonymous said...

The flea dip killed one of my cats and made another one ill. Trying to reach Hartz now.

Anonymous said...

I bought hartz's flea drops for my 6 year old and 1 year old cat because my money was really tight. Not even 24 hours later the baby was having convulsion's, seizers, foaming at the mouth and paralized in his back end, then my other cat started the same thing. We rushed them off to the vet and they said they had see this before with the hartz product's. They called it toxicity to both cats. The baby had to say for 48 hourswith a catheter, infusion pump due to kidney failure and given 3 different medications to keep him alive. They really didn't think he was going to live. Charlie the 6 yr.old only had to stay 24 hrs. but with the say meds and everythink Marley had as well. The bill came to the tune of 500.00 dollars which because my vet knows my finacial problems at this time. I do expect this bill to be paid by the company ASAP or there will be a law suit filed against the company or a civil suit as well! I'm sure there will be many concered animal lovers to join in My name is Melanie Murphy and I live in Cinnati, Ohio. Please contact me by e-mail about paying the vet bill ASAP! Thank you, Melrose83512@aol.com I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Anonymous said...

has anyone ever had a problem with the Hartz Hairball medicine? Barb

Anonymous said...

I wrote to Hartz today because I recently bought their Flea & Tick shampoo & Flea & Tick drops for my 12 year old PitBull.

I told them that I was one of the lucky ones not to have had my animal getting sick or have died from their products. I requested a refund of their products too that I purchased. I will NOT ever use or buy anything from them again!!!

Daisy's stomach turned red every time I used the shampoo on her and I took her to the vet to find out what to do. He gave me a cream to rub on her tummy until it went away and he said to wash her with baby shampoo. That way it was less likely to have any side effects on her skin.

I am so happy to see this website to inform the public of the harmful products out there on the market. I always go to the web to see if any thing has been recalled, but this time I didnt and I see what can happen.... I feel so bad that I didnt check first before buying Hartz products. I guess I was like alot of others that thought, it is a name that has been around for years and it is still on the shelves so what could hurt... I know now & will NOT do it again. Research research first.

Thanks!!!